Friday, March 21, 2014

The Fault in Our Stars (and the search for a real-life Augustus Waters)

A few weeks ago I watched the trailer for the upcoming movie The Fault In Our Stars. Up until this point, I told myself not to read the book because everyone had already read it and I refused to give in and read a book just because everyone else has (I have a weird hatred for following the mainstream trends). However, after watching the trailer, I couldn't help myself! I had to break down and order the book. Once it was delivered, I devoured the book in a few days and I am so glad I chose to do so. The Fault In Our Stars by John Green moved me in a way no other book has. The whole time I was reading the book, I had come to the conclusion that Hazel would die in the end. But when John Green threw me a curve ball and Augustus died instead, I felt heartbroken and empty because this character that I felt so connected to was no longer alive in the literary world. The story unfolding in the book allowed me to realize the very real fact that life is too short to not live it to the fullest and enjoy every minute of it. I also came to the realization that I am utterly heartbroken at the fact that Augustus Waters is only a fictional character, but I will settle with re-reading the book a few times and seeing the midnight premiere of the movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment